Principal Software Engineer, Full Stack
SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
Family Vacation Critic (FVC) is an established brand within SmarterTravel, but we have significant growth planned for this site, and we need a Tech Lead/Principal Engineer to lead the way.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer who takes pride in their code and architecture and is a team-player. We believe in a development process that's agile, but not dogmatic. People who succeed here tend to have little tolerance for unnecessary process and impediments, but also appreciate having sufficient checks and balances in place to help us work efficiently.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, accomplished engineer, passionate about new technologies, and will enjoy working closely with our product development, content and marketing teams to development new features for our Web sites. And, as the team grows, we anticipate this role will be responsible for leading the engineering team.
- Define the technical direction and evolution for the FVC product
- Grow and lead the FVC development team
- Work closely with Product Manager to define deliverables
- Deliver results within rapid build and release cycles
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff
- Adhere to our coding standards, including participation in code reviews
- Deliver quality work on an aggressive schedule
- Participate in site support response as necessary
- 8+ years LAMP web development using PHP 5.x, HTML5, CSS and jQuery
- Demonstrated abilities in creating web pages, services, and APIs
- Proficiency with object-oriented development and MVC design patterns
- Experience with mobile platform development (Responsive web design, iOS, Android)
- Experience with frameworks is a plus. Candidates with a strong UI/UX background or strong MySQL background are encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in creating well-performing MySQL queries
- Experience writing and executing unit tests
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***