Lead Software Engineer
Why be a Toaster?
"I work here because I think we are building a strong business the right way and I will get a chance to be a part of something special. I also enjoy working with the top talent we have in an open culture where I can make an impact." - Archie G, Engineering Manager
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management software platform. Toast’s Android tablet based system helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. For example, our portable tablets allow waitstaff to enter orders directly to the kitchen, reducing guest wait time and allowing the restaurant to turn over tables faster. This is good for the guest experience and good for the restaurant! We’re growing fast and serve cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs in all 50 states. We move fast and thus have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
Toast is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to play a critical role in evolving the architecture of our software platform, while mentoring a team of 3-5 engineers. Our software is used by restaurant staff every minute that a restaurant is open, from seating guests, to taking orders, to displaying orders in the kitchen. Toast’s overall ecosystem, contains an evolving set of Java microservices deployed to AWS, interacting with thousands of Android tablets using modern payments hardware. We deal with payment processing, syncing data across tablets, interesting features like functioning as a customer facing kiosk, and more.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- A kiosk that allows restaurant customers to place their own orders
- A system that allows restaurants to take payments even while our primary credit card processor is offline
- A discount system for our customers to configure complex discount rules
As a Team Lead for one of Toast’s teams, you will:
- Write code that reliably works at scale, 24 hours a day
- Architect systems that can scale to hundreds of thousands of customers
- Collaborate with product management to define technical and product roadmaps
- Lead the team to execute on complex projects that improve functionality and reliability for your customers
- Mentor 3-5 engineers
If you’re someone that:
- Wants to work on systems that are critical to customer success
- Enjoys devising technical solutions to solve complex business problems
- Communicates clearly up, down and across teams
- Can quickly hop into a new codebase and find your way around
- Has experience performing large, complicated migrations without breaking (too much) stuff
- Can balance getting things done with making things perfect
- Takes pride in mentoring other developers
- Likes to get involved deciding what gets built to solve for the customer and the company
We’d love to talk!
Perks of being a Toaster
- Great opportunity to join a fast-growing company which affords its’ employees mobility and advancement.
- Work on technology that’s making an impact in the industry (and challenging problems to solve as a result!)
- A team of passionate and collaborative co-workers (bring all your friends! referral bonuses).
- A culture of continuous innovation (quarterly company-wide hackathons to help bring this to life).
- An open concept office, complete with beanbag-filled collaboration spaces and the equally necessary quiet spaces.
- Clubs & groups created by our employees, for our employees.
- Diverse events to engage with coworkers in a different setting (Field Day, yoga classes, harbor cruises, beer swaps, Texas Hold ‘Em tournament etc.)
- Location, location, location! In Landmark Center, right off the Green Line and a 5 minute walk from the Yawkey commuter rail stop (commuter benefits included).
The Usual Suspects
- Competitive salaries
- Stock options
- Medical, dental & vision benefits
- PTO (unlimited!)
- Flexible work hours
- Fully stocked kitchen (DIY seltzer, beer on tap, coffee/ lattes, cold brew iced coffee)